Friday, June 1, 2012

Great and Terrible.

Oh man I don't even know where to begin. Yesterday was a great and terrible day. It was great because my brother  in law proposed and I'm going to have a new sister in law!!! Definitely excited for that! :) Now here's the terrible part.....brace yourself it really is horrible. I just feel like I need to get all my feelings about it written out and hopefully it'll help me calm down and feel better...I dunno....have I freaked you out yet? Ok sorry...just so you know ahead of time our family is great we're all good...I'm freaked out but good...

Yesterday the kids and I were out. I was riding my bike and we just got a new 2 seater bike trailer and they were riding in the back. We'd been out riding around and I turned the corner onto my road and all of  a sudden I hear a lawn mower being shut off and frantic and terrified cussing and swearing and a kid crying. And my neighbor across the street is trying to get the riding lawn mower off of his grandsons foot. I don't know exactly how the grandson got there or how it happened. But it looked like he was done mowing and putting it back in the garage but something happened and the lawn mower got his grandsons foot. The grandpa picked him up ran inside the house the grandma met him at the door and screamed when she saw what'd happened. I could see his foot was all bloody but I could still see his toes. I was in complete shock.

 Bianca ( our lady renting our upstairs) came out to see what was going on. I told her what happened and she ran over there to go help. The Police showed up and actually stopped at our house ( I was still standing outside just staring at the house sick with worry for the little boy and waiting to hear anything from Bianca. The boy is probably about 5years old.) He asked about the lawn mower accident and I quickly pointed him to their house. Bianca came out and told me it looks like he was going to be ok that they think it just got the top of his foot but that the grandparents were both crying and just really shaken (obviously). A couple minutes later the ambulance showed up and by the time the carried him out to the ambulance to take him to the hospital his crying had slowed and calmed down a lot...I'm assuming it's because shock was setting in and he couldn't feel too much pain. I'm not sure. But let me tell you. Coming upon a horrendous accident like that right as it's all happening is purely terrifying. All I could do after it happened was go inside and cry. I just went to my room and sobbed. That might sound weird cuz it wasn't one of my kids or anything but that's all I could to even attempt to make the sickening frightening feeling even begin to go away. I'm crying even as I'm writing this and I feel dumb. I think it'll just take time to get over it all. My brain just keeps re playing it in my mind and although I didn't see exactly how it happened I think the after math of everyone's voices and reactions is what is keeping it so fresh in my mind and so terrifying.  I know he's going to be ok and I said several prayers for him in my head as it was all happening. But I think with having kids of my own it has just really really scared me. I hate when anything happens to my kids and any kids in general. And this was like a worse nightmare coming true. I don't like my kids outside when lee mows the lawn anyways just because you never know when something can happen. We just have a push mower but still. Things do happen. I'm just so grateful we've been so blessed that we've never had any accidents like this not even close. Bianca called me later that night (we were in Rexburg celebrating Lee's brother's engagement and although I didn't feel like going or doing anything that night I figured going and getting it off my mind would be the best and it did help.) Anyways Bianca called me to let me know that she talked to her friend, who is related to our neighbor and his grandson, and that the little boy had broken all the bones in his foot and he was going into surgery that night. They also couldn't find the little boy's big toe bone so he is probably going to lose his big toe. But compared to what could of happened (did I mention he was barefoot when this happened) I was so relieved to hear it. I'm still freaked out but not as bad as yesterday. It'll just take time and I feel better after writing this out. Even though I've told the story several times I think writing has been the biggest help. Yesterday I was so confused feeling so many different and extreme emotions at once all I could do to react was cry. It's totally different hearing horrible stories like this than actually witnessing them. I don't think anything I've experienced could have prepared me for this experience and that sheer feeling of terror. I don't even know what more I can say about it. It's just insane. And I'm going to beg all of you to please please please be extra extra extra safe and careful out there! Sorry if this brought you down I just needed to get it out and people keep asking about it so here it is in one spot so I don't have to keep repeating it.

I'm also going to end this with great news...the great news that lifted my spirits entirely yesterday.
I got a text from my brother and Lauren (his gf) is going to be induced tonight!!!!!!!!!!! LITTLE SOPHIE IS GOING TO BE HERE SOOOOOOON!!!!!!! She's being induced tonight at 7:30pm! I am BEYOND excited for my little niece!!! I'll be posting pictures of her soon whenever I get some!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!

3 comments:

  1. It freaked you out so bad because you care... about your kids, other people's kids, other people in general! It is a good thing!! Traumatic injuries are exactly that, traumatic, both to those it happens to and those who are close to it, either proximety or emotionally. Your reaction sounds very normal. It breaks my heart to hear about it. It hits very close to home. It was my cousin's little girl who lost both her legs below the knee to a lawnmower 2 years ago. Talk about a traumatic experience. Keep on praying for the little boy, keep on watching out for your boys and keep on caring! Love you huh! Big hugs!! P.S. We are excited about Sophie too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just because this experience didn't happen to you, you were still very much involved... I'm so sorry that you had to witness that traumatic scene. Unfortunately when we see scenes like that they tend to linger in our thoughts, & minds a little longer than we'd like them to. I think as Mother's reading, & hearing about stories likes this makes us want to protect our children even more than we all ready do, & makes us grateful that we haven't had to go through traumatic experiences with our own children. Our prayers will be centered upon that little boy, & his family tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow I'm so sorry! That's horrible. Yeah when scary things happen like that it's definitely traumatic. I'm glad that it didn't end up worse! It would be really scary to come up onto that. It's a good reminder to be very careful with the lawn mower!!

    ReplyDelete