So Wednesday (7/16) around 11:30 the boys were playing outside and Drake had crawled up the tree house and was going to come down the slide. I knew I didn't have time to crawl up after him before he came down the slide, so when I felt the slide and it was hot I was worried. Then he started to come down on his belly! the first part of the slide was in the shade but about 2/3rds down had been in the sun. He came down and I grabbed him as soon as I could reach him but the damage had already been done :( At first I didn't realize how bad. He was screaming but I thought maybe it had scared him and burned a little but no then I looked at his arm and knee and it had peeled skin!!! Poor baby!

His knee I think burned the deepest.

His arm and the little spot of skin that was gone :(

My friend Brittney came to the rescue. Her son had just recently been in an accident where he burned his hands in the hot coals of a camp cook fire at their ward camp out and his burns were really bad and she had some cream stuff that they gave her to cool and heal the burn and she had told me randomly weeks before that If I ever needed any to let her know. Well what are the odds that I would! Drake screamed for over an hour because of his burns. mostly the one on his arm that bugged him. I was putting cold wet wash cloths in the freezer to get them a little colder and putting them on his arm and switching them out when they got too warmed up and dry but it still wasn't hardly helping at all. I felt sooo bad for him! I still do! So anyways I called my friend britney up and she rushed over with the cream and bandages and it instantly took the pain away and he stopped crying. She is such a life saver she doesn't think so but she is.

All wrapped up and no longer crying.
Friday 7/18/14

Here's what his burn looked like on Friday. It blistered all over on his arm and he had two big blisters. One near his elbow and one on the fatty part of his palm thumb area.

his knee :(
Saturday 7/19

The blisters on his arm and hand had popped. It's so hard to keep bandages on this kid. Every time I put him down for a nap or in the mornings I'd go in to get him when he'd woken up and he had either pulled off the bandage before or after he went to sleep.
Monday 7/21
This was his arm yesterday! Looks soooo horrible. Just makes me want to cry for him and tear down the stupid slide in our backyard which will probably be happening I'm so mad.
Today 7/22

SOOOO much better! I was so worried about his burn leaving a huge scar the way it looked yesterday! I was just praying and pleading that it would heal up nicely. So this morning when I was changing his bandages I noticed a lot more of that dark layer of skin peeling so I sat down and Drake layed down and let me peel off all that dead drying out skin and it actually came off really easy and didn't hurt him at all he just layed there and let me do it and it looks sooooo much better I could cry. My prayers were heard and it looks like he is going to heal up just fine. It's amazing how fast little kids heal up. I'm still putting the cream on his arm and bandaging it up so it stays clean and continues to heal but I'm so happy it's starting to look so much better already.

His knee has healed up even quicker and nice than his arm. His knee never looked as bad as his arm.
So moral of the story is beware of metal slides!!! They CAN seriously burn your babies! :( and it doesn't even have to be that late in the afternoon. this happened at 11:30am! I wouldn't have thought it would be that hot already at 11:30am.

Oh my goodness, poor Drake! Once when we were in the middle of a move David found our iron, plugged it into the wall, & burnt the same area of his leg Drake did... He was three at the time. I remember feeling so helpless... It really is amazing how fast kids heal, they're resilient.
ReplyDelete